Monday, October 31, 2011

Simulation Video #1: Romeo & Juliet

I'm doing a little happy dance right now. No, it's not a kinesthetic learning activity--I am just excited about how cool my simulation turned out! Although my "students" were college-age, it was so benefical to construct and implement an action strategy on my own regard. I myself am a kinesthetic learner, so I usually learn best by "doing" and applying concepts hands-on.

For this simulation, my students were 10th graders studying Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.  The action strategy was called "Good Angel, Bad Angel". Ally is on the left playing Juliet Capulet. Carlie and Josie are Juliet's bad/good angels on either side. Each of the angels tells Juliet what to do about marrying Paris. This is a "hotseat" enactment technique. It can also be done with larger groups--the group members would need to collaborate and decide what is the best advice to give. Then a designated student would act as the main character. This strategy works well to enhance understanding of character motives It also helps students better make connections between the text and their personal thoughts/emotions.

Check it out @ http://youtu.be/ErV75DJfANs

No comments:

Post a Comment